It’s Toasted Marshmallow Day, but it’s also August.In many parts of the country, that means it’s still too warm outside to be roasting marshmallows over an open fire. Leave it to us to come up with a yummy solution—toasted marshmallow cupcakes!
You start with a simple chocolate cupcake recipe, add some marshmallows, turn on the broiler and voila! If you want to make it even easier on yourself, you can use a boxed cake mix. We won’t judge. But if you want to be able to say, “Hey, look! I made cupcakes from scratch. I’m neat,” here’s a pretty simple recipe to follow.
- 1 1⁄3 cups all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Dash of salt
- 3 Tbsp softened butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup milk (we used 2%)
- 20-30 large marshmallows
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Put cupcake liners in muffin tins OR grease muffin tins with butter or cooking spray (this recipe yields 20-30 cupcakes).
- In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa and salt.
- In another bowl (we used our stand mixer bowl, but you can use a large bowl and a hand mixer), beat together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, beating well. Then beat in the vanilla.
- Alternate adding the flour mixture and milk to the large bowl, beating well each time.
- Once completely mixed, spoon the batter into the muffin tins, about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven. Place one marshmallow on top of each cupcake.
- Put the muffin tins back into the oven on the top rack and turn on the broiler. WATCH CAREFULLY. The tins only need to stay in the oven for about 2-3 minutes to toast the marshmallows.
- Remove the tins from the oven (careful – they’re gonna be super hot). Lightly press down on each marshmallow. Allow cupcakes to cool.
- Store in an airtight container (if you don’t eat all the ooey-gooey goodness right away