Go for the Bold! Try Microwave Pizza in a Mug
It’s Cook Something Bold Day so, of course, we had to boldly whip something up because…any excuse to eat. Now, bold food is up for interpretation. For some people it may mean cooking something super spicy. Others may see a wacky combo like a turducken as bold (sounds kind of gross, but hey, no judgment here). We hear bold and we think, “Let’s make pizza…IN A MUG!” In fact, we adapted this recipe from Gemma’s Bigger Bolder Baking website.
So next time you’re alone and thinking, “I could really use some pizza, but not like a whole pizza,” go for the bold and make this!
- 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/16 tsp baking soda (that’s half of 1/8 for those who don’t like math)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp marinara or spaghetti sauce
- A handful of shredded mozzarella
- Toppings of your choice (we used pepperoni, but you can use sliced mushrooms, green peppers, olives…whatever your pizza loving heart desires)
- A happy sprinkling of Italian seasoning
- Grab a good sized microwavable mug. Teacups are too small, and who eats pizza from a teacup anyway?
- We suggest spraying the inside of the mug with cooking spray, just in case.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in the mug and stir with a fork.
- Add the milk and oil to the mug and stir with the fork to get out as many lumps as possible. You just made a pizza crust batter…in a mug!
- Spoon the marinara sauce onto the batter and spread it around.
6. Sprinkle on the cheese, then add your toppings and a sprinkle or two of the Italian seasoning.
7. Microwave for 1 minute, 20 seconds or until the batter rises and the cheese is bubbling (cooking time may vary based on your microwave…add more time by 10-second increments, if needed).
8. Dig in, you bold-pizza-in-a-mug-chef, you!